My call...

Romans 10:13-14 (NLT)
For “EVERYONE who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in him? And how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him? And how can they hear about him unless someone tells them?


Saturday, July 17, 2010

prosperity according to Him....

Mark 10:23-25 Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the Kingdom of God!” The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, “Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

Ever since I was a teenager I played bass on the worship team of my church in Mexico. My first bass was combination package that only cost me $120.00. After a while playing together, the worship team started getting better every time, and as a result we started being invited to play in several places in Mexico in conferences or churches. As we started getting ready as a worship team during months for a big national conference in Mexico City, I started working during high school to buy a new bass that cost $800.00. One month before the conference I was $300 dollars short, but my desire for that bass turned into an obsession. I borrowed money from my parents after convincing them that it was a need for better worship and a promised that I would pay it back, so I got the bass. (Just for the record, I did pay them back)

The first night at the conference, before the opening concert, all the instruments were settled on the stage. Without any explanation, my bass fell down from its stand and got a big scratch on the head (top part of bass; not sure of its real name). After 30 minutes of crying about my bass, God finally got into me to understand that the instrument (musical object) doesn’t matter; all that matters to him is my heart.

Today I still play the same bass; it works perfectly because has a “lovely scar” that helps me to remember every time that I play that what God wants from me is my heart.

As a musician I know that it is nice to play with good instruments and modern sound equipment, and I don’t believe God is against that. But I do believe that God is more worried about where my heart is and who I am playing for; he deserves every note I play!

In this passage we can see the same principle. God is not against the prosperity of his people. He even promises prosperity for us and an abundant life. But God’s concern is that as humans as we become prosperous we put our heart on material stuff.

The concept of “rich” in this passage it is not to define a person that has a lot of money; it is to define a person that loves and trusts the money more than everything. God wants to give us what we need and even more because he love us, but that will happen as long as we can be able to let him take it back whenever he wants.

Dear God, we do pray that you may prosper the fruit of our hands, that you may make us financially stable and even more according to Your will, but I pray to keep us away from being “rich”.


No comments:

Post a Comment